X Windows not installed

I don't think I have X Windows installed. How do I now install
it?

Installing sid with installer-i386, I was given a choice about what
kind of setup I wanted, eg a personal workstation, an Internet
server, etc.

With the cursor on the personal workstation, I hit Enter and
was surprised by the installer immediately starting to do
something. I expected some more questions.

What it was doing I don't think had anything to do with
installing a personal workstation, which is mainly X Windows, I
think. I didn't get asked whether I wanted gnome or KDE for
example.

I have now a perfectly good console-based linux system, but exec
startx doesn't give me X Windows. I used apt-get to install
gnome, which may explain a few X11 libs I have and some X docs in
/usr/share.

Assuming debian-installer didn't install X Windows, how do I now
do that? Can I do it with apt-get? Or do I have to start from the
start again and boot the system with debian-installer?

None of the packages in the X Window System software package
list seem to be relevant.

--
Dr Bean                          Anyone who doesn't make mistakes
                                 isn't trying hard enough.