Help - 'make' errors dealing with Kernel Source - all my kernel source code, old and new

working kernel:  Linux version 2.6.16.14.amd64-ws1.1 (root@asterix) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) #1 Thu Jun 1 23:55:33 PDT 2006

 (self compiled and works)

new kernel:  linux-2.6.17.1

errors both occur with both linux-2.6.16.14 and linux-2.6.17.1
So I am gathering it is not with the source but with make.

<From an earlier post on Ubuntu list>
Ok.. I was able to compile my kernel.. but now I don't know if I had installed or messed up my kconfig up any.. but every time I try to run:

I downloaded the newest vanilla kernel but I just can't compile the code or even get the simple make xconfig to work.  Now I cd into my old kernel directory and did a make vmlinux and it started the normal make process but as to any of the normal make xconfig, make gconfig, make menuconfig, make oldconfig all give me the same errors and I am so at a loss.

# make oldconfig
# make xconfig
# make gconfig
# make menuconfig

all give me this error:

  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c: In function 'exec_conf':
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:488: error: 'EINTR' undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:488: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:488: error: for each function it appears in.)
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:488: error: 'EAGAIN' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

Is this related to missing file or a conflict?  Or just simply something else...

<new>
I am using a AMD64 3200+ self built system (my very first personally built computer) and Installed Ubuntu pre-release Dapper Candidate and installed Dapper on my box.  Two weeks later Dapper was officially released but before that I had compiled a custom and working kernel from kernel.org and it worked just great.  Since then I have updated my system with the official Dapper and things have been working just fine.  Now Since the newest kernel was released and wanted to add some new things in the code I downloaded 2.6.17.1 source and do as normal move my .config over and do a make oldconfig.  However something has changed on the computer which I have not seen before.  Now I have been compiling kernel code for the last 7years and have been using my own built kernels quite nicely.

Apparently I have installed something that may conflicted or a package that was updated made a change that is keeping me from compiling the kernel.

	I only come to the list when after spending hrs/days/weeks trying to figure out the problem on my own and have exhausted ALL my resources and seek other peoples help.  When I post a message to the list it is not because I am two lazy to find the answer on my own but to help me with an issue that I just can't find an answer and maybe someone else with more programing experience can help.

	This being my 3rd post which I have noticed that my last 3-4 posts ranging a couple of weeks have not been answered.  I am glad for all the help I have been given in my years of experience and so look forward to the times in which I do help others.  It is an awesome feeling to give back to the community.

	I am not a programmer and since I was in elementary school I have self taught with help of others, books and such all I know about computers.  I am a strong advocate in Open Source and help with others to move to Open Source or with their computer / tech issues.

Again I thank all.

Sorry for all the extra wording but I am wondering if the reason I am not getting any response is because I did not have enough info on this issue.

-Adam

info source: