Re: Too many env vars in an automated PXE/preseed Debian installation

Santi Saez wrote:
> I am trying to automate Debian installation in a Dell PowerEdge
> server via PXE-boot and preseeding files.
>
> I want to automatically select language, country, keyboard layout,
> etc.. and pass preseed file, those are the kernel parameters that are
> appending via pxelinux boot:

> ------
> label sarge-amd64
>         kernel deb-amd64/31/linux
>         append vga=normal initrd=deb-amd64/31/initrd.gz
> ramdisk_size=10800 root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw languagechooser/
> language-name=English countrychooser/shortlist=ES console-keymaps-at/
> keymap=es preseed/url=http://ks.xxx.net/deb/sarge
> ------
>
> There are too many boot parameters, so we get a kernel panic:

> ------
> Kernel panic: Too many boot env vars at `BOOT_IMAGE=deb-amd64´
> In idle task - not syncing"
> ------
>
> So my question is: Is there anyway to auto-select language, country,
> keyboard layout, etc.. and preseed a file too by appeding parameters
> to the kernel? If I only put preseed parameter I'm prompted to
> manually select language, country, etc.. :-(

You can remove the vga=normal to save one parameter, which should get
things working for you.

In etch the kernel parameter limit is increased and some parameters are
combined (eg debian-installer/locale=en_US) which makes this sort of
preseeding much easier.

--
see shy jo