Re: Question not addressed in FAQ.

From: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Question not addressed in FAQ.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:20:57 -0500

Kent West wrote:
Lynn Kilroy wrote:
> What files from the mirror site will I need if I want to install
> Debian  without making or purchasing some kind of removeable
> media?
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s05.html.en

Ag! Sorry; that doesn't address booting from loadlin; never mind.

Ah! Here we go.

http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-install-drive

and

http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-rescue-images

So, _probably_ what you want are:

| <http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/root.bin>|
|http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/idepci/root.bin|
|http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/idepci/linux
||http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/dosutils/loadlin.exe
||http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/idepci/install.bat

This last "install.bat" file you may need to edit to your particular setup; or you can just manually execute the correct line from that batch file.

--
Kent

Sorry to double post, but for these specific files, the address begins with

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/potato/main

because Sarge supersedes Potato.

I looked through Sarge, and could not find analogous files, so I will use Potato, instead.

Besides, I have a particular affection for Potato. :-)

Perhaps if this works, someone can walk this newbie through an upgrade to Sarge. Of course, they would probably be twisting my ear and waggling their finger at my nose as they did so. {Blushes}

Love & Friendship & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy