Re: Question not addressed in FAQ.

From: "s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Question not addressed in FAQ.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:10:19 GMT

Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com>:
>  On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Lynn Kilroy wrote:
> > What files from the mirror site will I need if I want to install Debian
> > without making or purchasing some kind of removeable media?
> >
> > Also, what will the LoadLin Command Line look like to get Debian started on
> > a network install?
>
> What version of Debian are you talking about? Not just what version number,
>  but what platform?
>
>  Does 3.x even support loadlin?  I haven't used it in years.

Sorry for the "Me too!"-ish post, but I too see no reason for loadlin.
I've never needed / wanted to use it.  netinst is about 107 Mb.  If
you can't manage that, go the floppy route as suggested, though be
careful there; floppies are notoriously unreliable media.

Oh!  Off Topic:  Please note Reply-To is not the list.

Back to Topic: I have no CD Burner, so please excuse me for having legacy equipment off a P100 and P233 on a brand new AMD 1.4GHz PC. This system is still being worked on. Oddly enough, we own six hard disk drives, five 200GB drives, and one 160GB Drive.

We have no floppy diskettes. We pretty much store all our surplus data on spare hard drives. I mean, with like, six of them, why not?

We have no use for a CD Burner. What's 600 MB to a spare 280GB for each of us, not including the dual internal drives we have installed all the time?

I'd rather not purchase a CD and wait two weeks to a month, while running the rist that the CD's May Get Stolen.

The Floppy Image can be downloaded and the OS installed via a Network. Why can't I just D/L the files off the floppy image, and use them, along with LoadLin, to boot to Linux, then let Linux install them? I have a dual boot already, and there's no reason at all for Linux to share the same 200GB Hard Drive with Win98SE and Win XP Pro.

Love & Friendship & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy