MySQL problems

I've been trying to set up MySQL and the book I've been using had me set a password for the root user. However, I can't seem to log into MySQL using that password now. Perhaps there was a typo when I was entering it, but I can't seem to do anything about it now. I've been searching for documentation on what to do, but all I can find is documentation about windows, or documentation that just isn't clear. Can I just uninstall MySQL and re-install it, and just reset everything so I can start up from scratch again?