troubles with aptitude

I had added TeXLive for Debian for my Etch.install, all worked well,
until an upgrade.

So I decided to remove TeXLive again and install Tetex, but now aptitude
seems to be caught in a  trap. How do I get aptitude free?

This is the output from aptitude:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 156744 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing dvipdfmx ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dvipdfmx.postrm: line 5: /usr/sbin/update-texmf: No
such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dvipdfmx.postrm: line 6: /usr/bin/mktexlsr: No such
file or directory
dpkg: error processing dvipdfmx (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
 Removing preview-latex-style ...
 /var/lib/dpkg/info/preview-latex-style.postrm: line 29: mktexlsr:
 command not found
 dpkg: error processing preview-latex-style (--purge):
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
   dvipdfmx
    preview-latex-style
    A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
    Press return to continue.

In order to remove dvipdfmx dpkg runs update-texmf and mktexlsr -- but
these are no longer on the machine. How do I get these programs away or
how do I solve this problem?