Backup server SCSI setup problem

I have been asked to set up a backup server using a "hand-me-down" HP SureStore DAT24X6 tape drive.
The SCSI Card is an Adaptec 1944UW

I installed debian stable on the computer, which has an IDE drive. I had to leave the SCSI card out during the initial install, as the installer kept wanting the SCSI card to be controlling a hard disk debian would be installed on - and I only need it for the tape drive. I also don't have an extra SCSI drive lying around....

Once the OS was on, I put in the SCSI card, connected the tape drive (with SCSI termination) and started it, and then booted the computer. On POST (pre-grub), I went to the SCSI utilities via CTRL-A. The SCSI card showed up on SCSI ID 7, but no other devices showed up. the id on the tape drive is set to 5

I let it proceed through booting. It saw the card and and loaded aic7XXX driver.

The driver and SCSI modules show up with lsmod

No devices though. What am I missing?
Thanks in advance for any help.