Re: Sharing /usr

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 08:04:11PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:04:48PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > Dear Debian users,
> >
> > According to the [1]FHS, /usr is supposed to be sharable between
> > computers, mounted using e.g. NFS. Likewise, /usr/share is supposed to
> > be sharable between machines of different architectures.
> >  [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
> >
> > What would be the preferred way for doing such things under Debian?
> > Assume I have several i386 boxes and a few sparcs, how would I install
> > Debian on these machines, upgrade, remove packages... while
> > sharing /usr/share between all the machines, and /usr between all the
> > machines of a given arch?
> >
> > Best regards, Thibaut.
> > Note: my question is out of curiosity, it's not a real life problem.
>
> I asked this a few months ago about /usr/share -- I have several
> machines with different architectires, and got no useful methods.
> Apparently the package system just isn't designed for this.
>
> -- hendrik
Hi *,
if I were a bit braver, I suggest throwing it out to the debian-devel list as its sort of asking a question that deals with debian-specific things that are not common user needs and goes into some techinical issues that debian developers should be more familiar with then us mere mortals^W^W^Wusers x-)
cheers,
Kev