Sharing /usr

Dear Debian users,

According to the [1]FHS, /usr is supposed to be sharable between
computers, mounted using e.g. NFS. Likewise, /usr/share is supposed to
be sharable between machines of different architectures.
 [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

What would be the preferred way for doing such things under Debian?
Assume I have several i386 boxes and a few sparcs, how would I install
Debian on these machines, upgrade, remove packages... while
sharing /usr/share between all the machines, and /usr between all the
machines of a given arch?

Best regards, Thibaut.
Note: my question is out of curiosity, it's not a real life problem.