Re: testsaslauth works but sendmail will not authenticate -- please help.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, John Covici wrote:

I have a Debian system where I have the sasl2 library set up -- there
were some problems doing that which I will get to in another message,
but the main problem is that I have used
testsaslauthd with a userid and password using my imap server for
authentication.  The imap server uses a mysql database and that part
works.  Now, what baffles me is that sendmail will still not
authenticate -- even though I have pwcheckmethod: authdaemond it still
tries to use pam somewhere and it fails.

I've never used authdamon for SASL - but your comment about PAM usage
is interesting...

You'll want to verify the following settings in /etc/mail/sasl/Sendmail.2
auto_transition:  <-- should be false
pwcheck_method:  <-- make sure it only has your authdaemon, not also auxprop
allowanonymouslogin:   <-- probably not relevant, but check
allowplaintext:  <-- this may need to be set to 0

My understanding, is that for plaintext passwords, PAM is called by
SASL and /etc/pam.d/smtp is used for authentication.

For non-plaintext, the pwcheck_method kicks in

--
Rick Nelson
<netgod> my client has been owned severely