Re: windows in xen on intel core-duo?

> qemu ? yes, but not raw, you need a disc-image

Both QEMU and VMware emulate an entire computer which has its own
hardware. This means that once you boot Windows from within QEMU (it can
boot from real disks), it will need to reconfigure itself to run on
emulated hardware. And, as we all know, Windows is not really good at that.

Your best bet would be to create a disk image and install Windows there.
Sure, it will not be lightning fast, but QEMU can be quite fast if you
use the accelerator module (you will have to download and compile it
yourself).

If you are not familiar with QEMU command line options, there at least
three GUI front-ends that you might want to give a try (none of them are
in Debian):

for KDE (never tried it):
 http://kqemu.sourceforge.net/
 http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/kqemu/kqemu-0.3Alpha.tgz?download

for Java (needs Sun Java):
 http://exprofesso.com/jqemu/
 http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jqemu/jqemu-1.1.0.zip?download

for GTK (yes, that is my name on it):
 https://gna.org/projects/qemulaunch
 http://svn.gna.org/daily/qemulaunch-snapshot.tar.gz

> vmware ? probably..

It may run a little faster than QEMU, but I simply cannot recommend it,
because it is, you know, evil...

> xen ? no, there were license-issues with M$-Windows & xen

Form Xen FAQ:

 1.4. Does Xen support Microsoft Windows?

  The paravirtualized approach we use to get such high performance has
  not been usable directly for Windows to date. However Xen 3.0 added
  Intel VT-x support to enable the running of unmodified guest operating
  systems, including Windows XP & 2003 Server, using hardware
  virtualization technology. We are working on implementing support for
  the equivalent AMD Pacifica technology.

So it seems it is somewhat possible if you have the right hardware. Not
that I know how to do it...