Re: CUPS 1.2 not detecting LAN printer exported by CUPS 1.1

On 6/12/06, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:46:28 -0400
"Patrick Wiseman" <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I know I'm not the only one having problems with CUPS 1.2, but mine's
> a little different.  I have a desktop system on my network running
> sarge, which has CUPS 1.1.  That system has my HP DeskJet printer
> attached.  Until a very recent upgrade of my laptop etch/testing
> system, the printer was known to the CUPS server (and clients) on my
> laptop, but now it's disappeared.  CUPS 1.2 is configured to 'Show
> printers shared by other systems' but isn't showing that one.
>
> I got around the problem by including a "BrowsePoll server_name:631"
> directive, but that seems awfully clunky.  Is there a better way?
>
> Patrick

I have a set-up much like yours. On my laptop (running sid) I
added a printer with the device URI

    ipp:/server_name:631/printers/printer_name

where server_name is the desktop to which the printer is connected
and printer_name is the name by which the printer is known to CUPS. This
survived the upgrade to CUPS 1.2.

It's funny you should say that, because that's _exactly_ how my CUPS 1.2  describes it after I tell it to browse server_name!  So, I guess either works.

Patrick