Re: Mixed dual-monitor setup: too weird?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:20:08 +0200, Philippe De Ryck wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:23 -0500, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm contemplating a dual-monitor setup consisting of a 1280x1024 LCD and a
>> 1024x768 LCD. There's a couple of sources of oddity here: the difference
            ^^^
               doh! this should be "CRT"

>> in resolution and the different display technologies.

> Why would that be weird? Of course, you won't have two identical screens
> or a symmetric setup, but that works just fine. I am talking about two
> separate screens in the config, not xinerama or other stuff. That's how
> I use it and how I like it.

Well, it seems I made an error: the smaller screen would be a CRT, not an
LCD. :/ I was thinking of stuff like text smoothing, which is best done
differently on the two types of screens, but I've not seen any setups
where one screen uses subpixel rendering and the other doesn't --
especially using Xinerama, which is important. I need to be able to move
windows from screen to screen.

Thanks,

Reid