Re: Apache + php: url arguments empty

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:40:22PM +0200, Johan de Jong wrote:

> The document root contains an index.php:
>
> <?php
>        printf("mytag has value: %s\n", $mytag);
> ?>
>
> My problem is that when I load the page using:
>
> http://localhost/?mytag=a
>
> the value of mytag is empty. I stumbled on this problem when migrating
> an existing and working webpage.

  Yes.  This is because the default behaviour of PHP changed to disable
 this by default, as a security improvement.

  (I love the way things change between "stable" releases of PHP.  Makes
 using it a lot more difficult.)

  If you *must* use it change 'register_globals' to be 'On' in the
 file /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini - and restart Apache by running
 '/etc/init.d/apache2 restart'.

  Note this may open your server to security holes if you have buggy
 scripts installed...

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration