Re: installing new kernel

On 11-jun-2006, at 20:19, Joris Huizer wrote:

Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.4.27 linux kernel.  To replace this
kernel with a late 2.6 kernel, is it a simple apt-get install? If so, is there any danger of wiping out parts of my home directory? If it's not a
simple apt-get install, is there a suitable HOWTO?

It's a simple apt-get install, and, at least when using lilo, you'll probably need to add a few lines in the /etc/lilo.conf file, followed by running /sbin/lilo -- if no changes are needed to the confige, you'll have to run /sbin/lilo too
I don't know what needs to change when using GRUB.

Installed a new kernel just the other day using GRUB. GRUB is simply taken care of by the installer script. After the install you reboot and GRUB presents you with a list of all the installed kernels, including the newly installed.

After you've checked that your new kernel works fine, you could just deinstall the older ones if needed using apt or aptitude. I've noticed that there are special kernel images that have a sort of serialnumber like 101sarge1 that probably cause the most recent kernels to be installed by depending on them within apt. I don't know if they can also safely be removed. Someone else may comment on that.

Peter