Re: installing new kernel

Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.4.27 linux kernel.  To replace this
kernel with a late 2.6 kernel, is it a simple apt-get install?  If so, is
there any danger of wiping out parts of my home directory?  If it's not a
simple apt-get install, is there a suitable HOWTO?

It's a simple apt-get install, and, at least when using lilo, you'll probably need to add a few lines in the /etc/lilo.conf file, followed by running /sbin/lilo -- if no changes are needed to the confige, you'll have to run /sbin/lilo too
I don't know what needs to change when using GRUB.

HTH,

Joris