X-system and KDE problems

My debian etcg 32bit has experienced twice an X-system failure to start
following
#apt-get upgrade
 In both cases recovered, though error messages are presented.

The X-system is first started alone with

$startx

with /home/me/.Xsession

#!/bin/sh
xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
exec xterm

whereby a window manager is opened that looks like twm;

With the alternative script
#!/bin/sh
xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
xterm &
exec mwn

no X-system, although
#update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
shows mwm starred (the alternative kwin is preceded by a curious dot; no trace
of twm; may it be that both mwm and kwin are started? actually I do not see
any trace of mwm on commanding
#ps -eaf
but, see below, at some stage mwm is really started.

Commanding from the pseudo twm window above

$startkde
a mwm window manager is opened, reporting:
xset: bad font path element (#162), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or synthax
Start kde: Start up..
buidsycoca running..
kdecore (KlibLoader): WARNING: Klibrary: /usr/lib/kd3/kcm_kdnssd.so: undefined
symbol: int_kdnssd
KWriter - Listening on device /dev/pts/1

KDE works fully, but a strive to getting mwm  window manager (here are
experiments only in view of getting that on the 64bit workstation, where I
can not yet experiment because OpenMotif is not available.

Should you understand how to do with the 32bit system, please help.

cheers
francesco pietra