Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg fails

On 6/9/06, Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:41:17PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
  <snip re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg>
> I also had
> to reboot for the server to actually be able to start, but I have no
> idea why.  The reboot might have cleared some temp file that was
> confusing it.
This may sound silly, but did you try a '/etc/init.d/<foo>dm stop &&
/etc/init.d/<foo>dm start' or just a '/etc/init.d/<foo>dm restart'?
I've found that the restart doesn't always work, but stopping, waiting
for all the processes to die (or forcibly killing them), then starting
has nearly always worked.

I boot directly to console.  There's no ?dm installed.  I might have
had unreaped processes after C-A-<bkspc>, though.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh