Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg fails

On 6/9/06, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
I'm running etch on an AMD-64.  I have (mostly) finished
the xorg6.9 -> 7.0 transition, which you have probabl
head about in mu other messages on this list.  Have installed
nvidia-kernel-drivers after building them from the nvidia-kernel-source
package.

I still have to get glx working, server-side.  So on the off-chance that
the glx module has become unrequested during the upgrade, I try

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

which complains

xserver-xorg postint warning: not updating /etc/X11/X; file has been
  customised

I had this problem today, too.  I killed that softlink and re-ran
dpkg-reconfigure.  That took care of it, though I don't remember if I
also had to do

# aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg

You might try that if dpkg-reconfigure is still unhappy.  I also had
to reboot for the server to actually be able to start, but I have no
idea why.  The reboot might have cleared some temp file that was
confusing it.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh