Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg fails

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:03:17PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:00:32PM +0000, Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> > ?ann 2006-06-09, 08:57:21 (-0400) skrifa?i hendrik@topoi.pooq.com:
> > >   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> > >
> > > which complains
> > >
> > > xserver-xorg postint warning: not updating /etc/X11/X; file has been
> > >   customised
> >
> > Hmm, seem to remember someone else posting about this a short while
> > ago (within a month), have a look through the archive of this mailing
> > list and see if you can find those postings (or is it perhaps your
> > postings I am remembering? :-) ).
> >
> That may be, but I just looked through the archive for June and May and
> I didn't find it.
>
> Google found me a page from the Debian X FAQ that is Xfree-specific; but
> I haven't found anything for xorg.
>
> -- hendrik
I had the problem in the past ten days and did post a message.  Someone
responded that I should run dexconf.  I did and still had the warning
not updating /etc/X11/X but the next time I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf I
found my previous edits had been erased and gdm could start X Windows.

It seems to be important to have all of the following installed:

x11-common 7.0.20
xbase-clients 7.0.1-2
xorg 7.0.20
xserver-xfree86 7.0.20
xserver-xorg 7.0.20
xserver-xorg-core 1.0.2-8
xserver-xorg-input-all 7.0.20
xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1.0.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1.0.4-3
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 0.14.4-5
xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.7.4.1-3
xutils 7.0.0-3

I hope this helps.  By the way I was editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add
lines for the wacom grahire tablet which I found Linux Wacom Project
HOWTO.  They didn't solve the problem but they didn't stop gdm from

Tom George