Re: GNOME new file selection dialogs

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:23:20 -0400
Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

> They're terrible.  If GNOME has to be the basis for programs like
> Firefox, surely they could avoid "different for different's sake" and
> use standard selection dialogs.  If I click on a file and want to
> save it in a particular directory, it's minimum five clicks now and
> there's no way to visually navigate the directory tree unless you
> have a great memory.  The previous version worked fine, and as far as
> I can tell the reason to change was "let's be different".
> Button-based directory recall?  Having to click a second time to
> inform the program you want to use a different directory? "File
> system" means "root of the file system"?  You aren't PERMITTED to
> type a directory path in, even if you know it?  I thought this was
> *nix.

Just start typing when the dialog has focus and see what happens ;-)

> Why?
>
> Yeah, I'm complaining a lot lately.  Sorry.

You're not the only one. The current GNOME file dialog has been
controversial from its inception. I quite like it, but I get the
impression I'm in the minority camp.

> Anyway, would it make sense to file a Debian bug or complain directly
> to de Icaza or what?

Don't waste your time. The subject has already been debated
exhaustively.

>I'd love to just not use GNOME but as a Linux
> user, I don't have a lot of good alternatives to FireFox for
> browsers.  (Konqueror is okay, but I've become dependent on stuff
> like FlashBlock and ImageZoom.)  I wonder if the current Netscape
> Navigator is any good, and would use FF extensions.

The current Netscape Navigator is available only for Windows.

--

Liam