Kernel upgrade trouble

I am interested to hear what people think about this.  I am running
Sarge and tonight I tried to upgrade my kernel (from a home-rolled
kernel built from kernel-source-2.6.8 to kernel-image-2.6.8-3-k7).  All
I can say is "Wow,"  and I mean that in a bad way.

First, my machine was left unbootable because the install got the Grub
configuration completely wrong.  After booting an Ubuntu LiveCD, I was
able to get at the backup of the menu.lst and manually fix the incorrect
hd(?,?) and root= entries.  After that, I tried to boot the new kernel.
 When it came time to bring up the RAID devices (there are three RAID1
arrays), the numbers had changed (e.g., md1 became md0).  Of course,
this made it impossible to mount some of the filesystems.

Try to reboot to the old kernel.  The RAID arrays maintained their
incorrect numbers.  Back to the LiveCD.  Forcibly reassign the minor
numbers.  Boot the old kernel again.  All manner of services segfault
and have errors on startup.  Boot the LiveCD again and forcibly fsck
every single filesystem.  Get some errors on one or two filesystems, but
dozens of errors on /var.  Fix all the errors and reboot.  Same segfault
and missing file problems on /var.  Reboot LiveCD and re-fsck /var.
More problems.  Repeat several times.  Finally, boot LiveCD and mount
partition with free space, rsync /var data over to temp directory, nuke
filesystem on /var and re-rsync everything back.

Boot old kernel and things seem to be working for the time being.  I am
wondering if anyone can give me any clues as to what is going on.  I
have never had such an experience with Debian.  I am just troubled that
a simple kernel upgrade has the potential to cause so much trouble.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto