Re: 'apt-get update' problems

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:57 +1000, Arafangion wrote:
> Arvind Marathe wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >I am new to linux and debian and recently installed debian-3.1 using DVD
> >from a friend. But it seems a lot of libraries or dependencies are
> >missing. I cannot open any molecular viewing packages like pymol and had
> >problem installing other packages. Whenever I try to install these
> >packages, I am asked to first do 'apt-get update'. But 'apt-get update'
> >always gets stuck up as shown below.
> >
> >Could someone point out why the computer is not able to connect to
> >security.debian.org? The internet is working perfectly fine otherwise.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >Regards,
> >Arvind

> >$apt-get update
> >Err file: sarge/main Packages
> >  File not found
> >Ign file: sarge/main Release
> >Err http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
> >  Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (128.101.240.212),
> >connection timed out [IP: 128.101.240.212 80]
> >

> <snip>
>
> You are mixing stable and testing. Don't do that!
> Use either stable (sarge), OR testing (etch).

Good point!
Try the following:
1. Save your /etc/apt/sources.list file as /etc/apt/sources.list.old!
2. Make a new one containing only the following line:
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
(and maybe the first line describing the DVD.)
3. Try apt-get update now!
4. If it works, you may add the contents of your old sources.list file
line by line, but I suggest adding only this repository:
deb ftp://ftp.{two-letter country code}.debian.org/debian/ stable
contrib main non-free
It has pymol :-)
Good luck!

--