Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 01:21 -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> Hallo friendly list:
>
> I've decided that windows has to go and a swap has to come. So, I'm a
> gonna clear the hard drive of my Toshiba satellite A70 laptop and give
> myself a new start on life. Now, I've been looking about some. It
> seems that ext3 or xfs are the best filesystems, with /boot being on a
> seperate ext2 partition using xfs (do I need to do this?). Is this
> true? Is it true of a laptop which I use for every day desktop
> purposes? I hear also that xfs is a pain to deal with if the system
> crashes. Is this true? How so? Finally, I've heard of zfs. Is this
> worth looking in to more?
>
> I know that this is A: been done to death and D: really... shall we
> say, open ended.... But, I should dearly like to have the lists
> opinions on this.

I have had very bad luck with reiserfs v3.5/.6, I have not tried any
v4.xxx of the filesystem format.

Infact, I have completely gone away from reiser as a filesystem of
choice. And will not be *USING* any reiserfs in production, period. At
least until some proof of "losing the tree root, thereby orphaning all
leaf objects" is *NOT* possible or theoretically/statistically
impossible.

That leaves three(3) choices:

        JFS, XFS, EXT3:

                JFS is a very mature excellent filesystem, this
                particular version in Linux comes from OS/2, where it
                has been used and considered the defacto standard if you
                need a file-system with journals (most OS/2 machine
                nowadays are appliances, due to marginalization of
                OS/2). JFS does suffer from some limitations when
                dealing with certain situations on certain types of
                files (thousands and thousands of small files, sometimes
                exceptionally HUGE files as well). Also isn't as
                flexible when dealing with ACLs.

                EXT3 is a very mature and very well known set of specs.
                It is the safest bet. But also arguably the slowest of
                the 3. Slow is a relative term though. Slow could be
                fast enough as you'll never notice. Or it could be so
                bad, it makes you scream everytime you try to run
                OpenOffice.org or Firefox with tons of extensions.
                Really has only the stigma "EXT2 with Journals bolted
                on" badmouthing and slowness to deal with. Excellent ACL
                support, should you use them. Sparse Large file support
                can be suspect at times, but only in very rare
                circumstance.

                XFS is mature, not as well documented, not as well
                supported by utilities and it the "up and coming"
                file-system of choice. This is SGIs implemetation of the
                journaled file-system. It is exceptionally fast, light
                weight with very good ACL support (treated as meta-data,
                making it indexable and very fast to access). But GRUB
                has a huge problem with xfs. During the placement of the
                grub support files on the filesystem, it calls the
                "xfs_freeze" function and potentially can cause a hard
                lock of the system. There is the reason for either using
                LILO as the boot manager (/me hatessss the LILO for many
                reassssons) or use a small ext2/3 /boot filesystem and
                partition for grub support (or reiserfs or JFS etc...).
                Since I am one of the fuddites that still prefer a
                separate /boot partition, this is of zero consequence to
                me. In fact this is what *I DO DO* (hehehe I wrote DO
                DO) for every workstation/desktop/laptop/server I setup
                nowaday.

My choices are nearly always a bit on the sharp side of the edge... but
XFS has been my choice for more than 1.5 years now. I see this for the
foreseeable future as my choice and will continue until I see something
better.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.