Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

hi ya david

- this must be a test from tonights svlug.org meeting

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, David R. Litwin wrote:

> Hallo friendly list:

> I've decided that windows has to go and a swap has to come. So, I'm a
> gonna clear the hard drive of my Toshiba satellite A70 laptop and give
> myself a new start on life.

for yoour laptop

use ext3 ( according to val hanson )

> Now, I've been looking about some. It seems that ext3 or
> xfs are the best filesystems,

depending  on who is doing the talking ...

redhat likes ext3..... why ... "just because"
suse likes reiserfs... why ... "just because"  ( same reasoning )
sgi likes xfs ........ why ... "just because"
ibm likes jfs ........ why ... "just because"

other fs ... we'll skip over for now

"just because" is that they paid real $$$ for somebody to work on it
inhouse or outside

> with /boot being on a seperate ext2
> partition using xfs (do I need to do this?). Is this true?

that is confusing ..

/boot should NEVER be a sepearate partition in todays machines
unless you are booting directly into memory or lvm or crypto or
other distro that does not run on real disks

use /boot if you have one of them old old thingies ( old bios )
that is stuck in the days of not knowing how to read past the first
512MB of disk

what fs yiou use on which partition would depend on what you are
doing with the system  .. there is no clear generic answer

so if they didn't say why xxx is better than yyy ... than their
comment is /dev/null

why one fs is better than another is at least days worth of tutorials
or 30 years of ongoing fs discussions that has resulted in just a handful
of fs ...

> Is it true of a laptop which I use for every day desktop purposes?

is what true ...

laptop is notorious for behing thrown around and dropped...

you have a choice of using smething that can recover itself
with fs repair tools or not ... that leaves you with just ext3
as a fairly reasonably recoverable fs from "disk crashes" or power failure

> I hear also that xfs is a pain to deal with if the system crashes.

ALL fs is a pain to deal with if the system crashes
or if you do not have a mouse/keyboard/monitor on the pc/server

xfs is not any better/worst than jfs, reiserfs

ext3 has better recovery tools than the above beause you can use
(15-20 yr old ) ext2 repair tools to recover ext3 fs

> Is this true? How so?

lots of reading for weeks at a time ...

> Finally, I've heard of zfs. Is this worth looking in to more?

if you like to beat your head more ... do look into zfs ...
but its unlikely you'll find anything useful in the public ...

-------

for more fs fun and fs comparisons and beaten bushes
	http://Linux-Sec.net/FS

c ya
alvin