Building rawimage fails

I'm trying to build rawimage, a kfile plugin for raw image formats (http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=30971).

The problem is, I'm failing with the same error of this guy:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library kfile_rawimage.la against the
*** static library /usr/lib/perl/5.8/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a is not portable!
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [kfile_rawimage.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Software/SoftwareTesting/SourceFiles/rawimage-0.4/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Software/SoftwareTesting/SourceFiles/rawimage-0.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

And here's the reply from the developer:

Yes, you need libperl.so somewhere in your lib-path and Encode.so,Zlib.so, MD5.so, POSIX.so, IO.so and ExifTool in your PERLLIB path. So what does 'locate libperl.so' says? In Gentoo your missing package is called 'sys-devel/libperl'.

So, how do I fix this on my debian sarge machine? If it helps, 'locate libperl.so' says (but i have no idea what to do with it):

/usr/lib/libperl.so.5.8
/usr/lib/libperl.so.5.8.7