Re: qurious find error

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 04:50:23PM +0300, Vladimir Zolotykh wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why
>
>   sudo find /proc -group backup -print
>
> always terminates with
>
>   find: /proc/N/fd/4: No such file or directory
>
> where N is always a new number ?
>
> [Sarge, GNU/Linux]

I assume you know that /proc is a synthetic filesystem containing
system information, and /proc/N/fd is a directory containing an
entry for each open file descriptor for process 'N'...

At a guess, I would say that 'N' is the process id of the 'find' process
itself (and hence will be different each time it is run), and file
descriptor 4 was probably open to read the content of the '/proc/N/fd'
directory, but closed (and hence the file disappeard) when it attempted
to stat it to see if the group matched..

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com