Re: Command Line and Video Capture/Tuner Cards

Salve Martin!

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	In Linux, is it possible to use the command line to
> command one of those video capture/tuner cards to begin recording
> to a file?

Of course some of these cards are supported with Linux driver
and most or all of them are usable without GUI.

With a fast network you can forward the captured stream to
another machine...

> 	I was discussing the virtues of Linux with a friend and
> said that if these cards can at least be commanded to start and
> stop recording via the command line, all the power of at and cron
> are available.  It would also be easier to remotely control a
> system if the CLI works kind of like the sound commands of aplay
> and arecord commands do.

A point to start is maybe:
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Greetings,