Re: smart package manager

>> There is talk about the smart package manager.  It claims it will handle
>> package managing better than APT.  Is this true or propaganda?  If it is
>> true, will there be a future switch from APT to this SMART?  Could it be a
>> potential etch +1 goal?  Just wondering.
>
> Are you referring to Aptitude ? It's available either in a curses
> display (I think it's curses) or from the command line.

He is probably referring to "smartpm" package:

  The Smart Package Manager project has the ambitious
  objective of creating smart and portable algorithms for
  solving adequately the problem of managing software
  upgrading and installation. This tool works in all major
  distributions (APT, APT-RPM, YUM, URPMI, etc).

  This project is in beta testing. Please, understand that
  bugs are expected to be found at that stage, and there
  are features that still must be implemented in the
  forthcoming future.

It is an interesting project, but I doubt that APT will go away anytime
soon. You do not just go and replace essential parts of the operating
system with some half tested beta software. Maybe one day, but probably
not in Etch+1.