Re: Caught half-way through xorg 7 upgrade, errors in installation of x11-common

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 00:32:40 -0400
"Henk Boom" <lcpublic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to upgrade to xorg 7 for a few days now, and have
> managed to get just far enough through that the old X won't work
> anymore, but not far enough that the new one will =(.
>
> Everything is hinging on the upgrade of x11-common, which I've heard
> is the hardest part of this upgrade. The issue is that the
> post-install of x11-common fails in a way which I do not know how to
> fix. After moving /usr/X11R6/bin to oldbin to get around the first
> error message, I get something odd concerning the presence (or lack)
> of the symlink /usr/include/X11. This is not present on my system, and
> I do not know where it should point to. I also don't know why this
> should block the install of x11-common.
>
> My father has succeeded in getting around this problem by completely
> uninstalling x11-common (and about 80 packages that depended on it),
> and then re-installing it. However, this is not practical in my case
> because I have many more relevant packages installed, and this would
> involved uninstalling most of my system. What can I do to successfully
> upgrade my system?

[SNIP]

After successfully upgrading xorg on my etch system, /usr/include/X11
is a directory rather than a symbolic link. Try creating the directory
and repeating the upgrade attempt.

--

Liam