/var/mail/ permissions are messed up in newly installed Etch

Hi,

I reinstalled Etch yesterday and today when I started mutt I got:
/var/mail/user1: Permission denied (errno = 13)

where user1 is my username. The permissions in /var/mail are:
> ls -l /var/mail
total 0
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 Debian-exim
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:29 gdm
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:26 hal
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 identd
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 messagebus
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:31 user1
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 16:32 sshd
---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 statd

Something is not right here; after installation the mail is not readable.

I have:
$> dpkg -l *exim* | grep ^i
ii exim4 4.62-1 metapackage to ease exim MTA (v4) installation ii exim4-base 4.62-1 support files for all exim MTA (v4) packages ii exim4-config 4.62-1 configuration for the exim MTA (v4)
ii  exim4-daemon-light  4.62-1              lightweight exim MTA (v4) daemon

Could somebody point to the right cause of the problem and how to solve it? BTW, when I reinstalled Etch, I did not touch the home directories and they are the same. I was careful that the newly created users had the same uid and gids as before.

thanks,
->HS