Re: xdm/gdm failure after dist-upgrade

Try running dexconf first,then dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.That should do it

On 6/5/06, Thomas H. George <tom@tomgeorge.info > wrote:
On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 05:57:50PM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:03:22 -0400
> "Thomas H. George" <tom@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>
> > My box is testing with a 2.6.15 kernel complied from
> > linux-source-2.6.15.
> >
> > After the dist-upgrade this morning (Monday, June 5) X Windows failed
> > to start with the message no keyboard module found.
> >
> > I ran dpkg-configure xserver-xorg.  This did not help.
> >
> > I replaced /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a pre dist-upgrade version.  This
> > did not help.
> >
> > I went to the kernel source file and ran make menuconfig. Device
> > Drivers/Input Device Support/Keboards offers 4 keyboard modules but
> > all are to connect keyboards to a serial port, none for a keyboard
> > connected to a standard PC keyboard port.
> >
> > Tom George
> >

> Testing underwent the transition to Xorg 7 recently. The first thing
> to check is that the new meta-package 'xorg' is installed. This
> should pull in the necessary drivers as dependencies. See
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7 for further troubleshooting tips.
>
> --
>
> Liam
>
> Please reply to the list only.

xorg is installed.  I went to the wiki and as instructed installed

        xserver-xorg-input-kbd
        xserver-xorg-input-evdev
        xserver-xorg-video-ati

Now gdm restart fails with

        EE Can't find valid framebuffer

When I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg it finishes with a message that
/etc/X11/X not updated since xorg.conf has been customised.  I have
followed the instructions in xorg.conf for removing the customisation
but even after this dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg finishes with the
message that it is not updating /etc/X11/X as xorg.conf has been
customised.

Tom George