Re: Problem with Video Card Drivers

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:52:52 +0300, Robert J. A. Fernandes. wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> I was able to configure as what you told but still I am not getting the
> right installation driver for Intel915G
>
> So I got the linux driver downloads tar.gz from intel site.
>
> Now just I want to know step-by-step instructions on how to install this
> driver package or installation from the tar.gz file.

I am afraid that I can't help you with the drivers from the Intel
website, since I have never used them. A tar.gz file is just a way of
packaging several files into one compressed package for convenient
download; it is a priori not clear what the installation procedure will
be. However, there should be some sort of README file or other
instructions provided within the tarball. Normally the first step is to
copy the tar archive to some temporary working directory and run "tar
-xzvf name-of-the-file.tar.gz". This should create a directory with all
the files from the package and, hopefully, some instructions. ("man tar"
will give you more details about the tar command.)

However, like I said already, you should not have to do this; the "i810"
driver from Debian should be fine. If the driver from Sarge is too old
for the 915G, then you will most likely run into trouble with the driver
from the Intel website as well, since that one might also require a
newer version of the X window system. In that case the backported Xorg
from www.backports.org might be your best bet. (I don't use Sarge with
X, therefore I don't know for sure.)

It would be easier to help you if you could explain why you want to use
the driver from the Intel website, i.e. what does not work for you at
the moment, which problem are you trying to solve?

--
Regards,
          Florian