Re: PalmOS devices conflict with the kernel image?

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:40:38AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> However:  syncing my Palm Tungsten T3 only works if hotplug is installed.
> Hotplug conflicts with udev (which does not recognize the Palm device).
> Removing udev would also remove the kernel (linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7).

udev *does* recognize (some?) Palm devices.  I've got a PalmOS-based Garmin
iQue syncing fine -- it would be really bizarre if the (relatively rare)
Garmin device was recognized by udev, but the T3 wasn't...

Are you sure the visor and usbserial modules are available to the kernel?
Try 'modprobe visor' as root and see if you can manually load the modules
(both visor and usbserial should show up when you then run 'lsmod | grep
visor').  If not, then it's a problem with the debian linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7
package or a dependent, not udev (or hotplug).  From the bit below, I
suspect a kernel/module issue.

In a different message On Sat, 03 Jun 2006, Carl Fink wrote:
> Okay, I did a little research.  The kernel actually depends on
> initramfs-tools, which depends on udef.  If I replace initramfs-tools with
> yaird, in principle I can then reinstall hotplug and my system will work
> again.
>
> Unfortunately, for Testing yaird is currently uninstallable:
[ . . . ]
> Is anyone actually able to use a PalmOS device with Debian Testing or
> Unstable, or is that capability currently in the "transitional so it doesn't
> work" phase?  Is there any plan to either fix udev or make it conflict with
> the kernel-image (since it makes the visor.ko module that's part of the
> kernel package stop working)?
[ . . . ]

Works for me under unstable (udev only, homebuilt non-initramfs version of the
kernel).  Note I'm running a slightly older version of udev -- it's possible
something broke in the current version.

hotplug: Installed: (none)
udev:    Installed: 0.091-2 (a little older than the current unstable vers.)
kernel:  (home-built) 2.6.15.5
  these modules are auto-loaded when I invoke a hot-sync on the cradle/palm:
    visor, usbserial

The relevant udev rules are stored in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules (which
is a symlink to /etc/udev/udev.rules):
    BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", \
        SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*|Handspring Visor", \
        SYMLINK+="pilot"
AFAICT this is a stock install of udev.

HTH,
-- Brad