The hot potato of init script actions...

Hi, I'm well aware this is a hot potato of sorts, but has anything
changed of late regarding the actions mandated in debian init scripts?
There was mention of some changes being required for LSB compliance a
while back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

My particular need/desire is for the simple "status" action, that whilst
useful in itself, my particular usage is so Samba can manage services
via the MMC.

As it stands I've just been adding the actions to the init scripts
manually, but as with any custom patches they have to be merged in when
the packages get updated. Not really that much of a chore, but still
annoying.

Anyway, do you think it's likely "status" is likely to start appearing
in Debian packages or am I going to have to continue my manual patching
for the foreseeable future?