Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Curt Howland wrote:
> It hasn't been a republic since at least the time of a large number of
> people being forced at gun point to become "citizens" against their
> will, 1865.

    Most would also cite when the states lost their representatives in the
Federal government.  17th Ammendment, 1913.  The idea prior to then was that
the Representatives were in Congress to represent the people while the
Senators were there to represent the States interests.  Now that the Senetors
are directly elected by the people they are nothing more than another form of
representation for the people.  It's kind of why states rights have been
trampled on ever since.