Re: Quad Monitor nVidia on Etch -- UNSTABLE

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 13:50 -0400, James Wiggs wrote:
>  Folks,
>
>    I am trying to get a quad-monitor system running using the PNY
> Quadro NVS 440 PCI Express x16 video card.  Here are the system
> specs:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
> P/S: Aspire ATX-AS520W Blue 520 Watt
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> RAM: 4 x 1GB DDR 400 Unbuffered
> Card: nVidia Quadro NVS 440 PCI Express x16 (manufacturer: PNY)
> OS: Debian Etch, i386 install (NOT x64_64)
> X.org: 6.9.0
> Kernel: 2.6.15-8-686-smp
> nVidia driver: Latest as of 5/30/06 (1.0-8762)
> Monitors: 4 x Benq FP93G
>
>    After doing the initial installation of Debian, I downloaded
> the binary driver installer directly from the nVidia website, and
> ran it without any errors.  X however, is horrifically unstable
> when running all four monitors as a contiguous desktop.  After
> only a few minutes, it freezes up.  Most times, the mouse will
> still move but windows are unresponsive and the keyboard does
> not work; sometimes, not even the mouse responds.  I have to log
> in via SSH, where I find Xorg taking 100% of one core on the CPU
> and I have to do a kill -9 to stop it.
[...SNIP...]

If I were you, I would not use the straight binary installer from
nVidia.

        aptitude install module-assistant
        m-a update && m-a a-i nvidia-source
        aptitude install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev nvidia-glx

Then use the tools to configure it properly. That should help reduce the
instability. May not clear it up, but then you can mostly eliminate
Debian Etch being the problem.

And, to tell the truth, I have been on Sid forever, seems like the
nVidia stuff works better in Sid than in Etch or Sarge.

I dunno, maybe the quad support sucks.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.