Re: source code editor

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2006 Jun 01 06:40 -0500]:

> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * Ivan Glushkov <glushkov@mail.desy.de> [2006 Jun 01 03:15 -0500]:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I would like to know which is the best & lightest editor for source code
> >> editing, which supports syntax highlighting. Currently when I want to
> >> edit fast some C/C++ file I am opening it with pico. I looked around,
> >> but it seems like it does not support syntax highlighting.
> >
> > I've long, almost ten years now, prefered FTE as it is relatively
> > lightweight and does a good job with its syntax highlighting.
> > Unfortunately, its maintainer is AWOL and it has dependency problems
> > that prevent it from being installed since Xorg 7.0 hit Sid.  It's a
> > shame really.  VIM is simply obtuse compared to FTE and I won't even
> > touch Emacs.
>
> Have you tried building it from deb-src?

No.  I think a number of patches need to be applied first due to
the new paths in Xorg 7.0.  I think I will try it.  Maybe I can get it
going and find someone to do an NMU for me.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"