Re: quake3+xmms

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:00:48AM -0700, Enrique Morfin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just want to hear xmms music while playing.
>
> while xmms playing:
>
> if quake3-smp
>
> i got:
> ------- sound initialization -------
> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> Could not open /dev/dsp
> ------------------------------------
>
> if aoss quake3-smp
>
> i got:
> ------- sound initialization -------
> ------------------------------------
> ----- Sound Info -----
> sound system is muted
>     1 stereo
> 16384 samples
>    16 samplebits
>     1 submission_chunk
> 22050 speed
> 0x8a5e780 dma buffer
> No background file.
> ----------------------
> Sound memory manager started
>
> in both cases no sound :(
>
> then i tried:
> echo "quake3-smp.x86 0 0 direct" >
> /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
>
> with quake3, quake3.x86, quake, quake3-smp,
> quake3-smp.x86
>
> none worked, still no sound in quake :(
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

The only way I have managed to get sound from Quake3 on Debian was
by using the command
	artsdsp -m /usr/local/games/quake3/quake3.x86

For some reason I havn't worked out yet, artsdsp doesn't seem to
work unless I use KDE.

Under FVWM or GNOME I get the error "can't link to mcop directory"

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com