Re: Change screen resolution

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 06:41:21PM -0700, lmyho wrote:

> --- Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:30:30PM -0700, lmyho wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed debian on an older computer yesterday, but the screen
> > resolution is
> > > so poorly set, which is actually different from the resolution I have set during
> > the
> > > initial system configuration (much lower).  It looks really terrible and so
> > > uncomfortable!:((
> > >
> > > The screen can be set to much higher resolution (it was in a high resolution
> > before
> > > install debian).  But I can't find from where I can re-set the X windown
> > resolution!
> > > I have both gnome and kde installed, but no where I can find place to change the
> > > resoluion!
> > >
> > > Please anyone could tell me how can I change it?  the current too low resolution
> > > just kills me.:((
> >
> > sarge or etch/sid?  at any rate what does the output of
> > 'cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep Modes' (sub XF86Config[-4] for sarge) say?
> > Any of those lines have the resolution you want?  If so, do they all?
> >
> > --
> Chris,
> The last reply was wrong, I got the result now, 6 lines of output, all are:
> Modes   "800x600" "640x480"
>
> 800x600 is too low on the 19" screen!:(
>
> How to reset?

What you want to do here is either the easy way:

'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and accept the defaults, for
everything except monitor, where you select the correct values (check
your monitor book or the web for refresh rates) and select the
appropriate resolutions; and video card, where you select your video
card or 'vesa'--but not 'vga'

or the hard way:

edit the file, and add the resolution you want in front of the other
resolutions (eg: "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480") and made sure that the
driver for the video card is _not_ set to"vga" -- if it is, change it
to "vesa"

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
The idea of male and female are universal constants.