Re: running backup

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 13:56:39 +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I have a file that I want to run daily to backup data.  This tgz file then needs to be copied to a Windows 2003 server.  I'm using smbclient, but it does not seem to work thru the script.  Can someone point out where the problem lies.  I run this as a cron job as follows:
> 30 19 * * 1,2,3,4,5 root /root/rubybackup.sh
>
> The script is as follows:
> #!/bin/sh
> # script to automate the backup of the Ruby server to the W2K3 server
> #
> DAY=`date +'%a-%d-%m-%y'`
> BACKUPDIR=/backup
> RUBYLIVE=/var/lib/mysql/
>
> cd $RUBYLIVE
> tar -czvf /backup/rubylive${DAY}.tgz ./rubylive
>
> cd $BACKUPDIR
> smbclient //server/backup tfc651800 -U administrator
> put rubylive${DAY}.tgz

The recommended procedure for smbclient in scripts is to use the -c
option for the command string. In your case that would probably be
something like

smbclient //server/backup tfc651800 -U administrator -c "put rubylive${DAY}.tgz; exit"

Is it really necessary to use the administrator account for pushing a
backup file to the server?

--
Regards,
          Florian