Re: How to test a hard drive
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: How to test a hard drive
- From: Ralph Katz <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:42:32 -0400
- Message-id: <[🔎] 447C8408.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <6igcM-1LNemail@example.com>
- References: <6h5sZ-2CAfirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <6hfC0-KKfirstname.lastname@example.org> <6hgoy-1WXemail@example.com> <6igcM-1LNfirstname.lastname@example.org>
On 05/30/2006 01:30 PM, thierry wrote:
> Stephen Cormier wrote:
>> On Saturday 27 May 2006 19:36, thierry wrote:
>>> Is there any way to test an HD before installing an new system on it?
>>> I haave a strong suspiion about the reability of this HD, but money is
>>> still a problem in disregarding it right away
>>> Thank you for help.
>> Go To the manufacturer's website and check in the support section for
>> a downloadable testing program, most have one there that you make a
>> boot floppy with then boot from it to test.
> Well, since my box does not have a floppy drive, I tried to format,
> first ext3, then ntfs, but both attemps failed. So I guess the drive is
> dead. I could any create a partition on the first third of the drive.
> Anyway, I ordered a new one.
> Thanks to both of you for your reply.
Next time, you could try smartmontools.