Re: Linux boot CD failure

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:01:38AM +0800, qgong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I failed to install Linux on a new PC by Debian installation CD.
> The booting process stalled after I pressed "Enter" at the first Debian
> prompt. The system stalled, displaying "Loading" below the prompt line. I
> have tried a few other Linux live CDs, including Ubuntu live CD and
> Linux-BBC. All stopped at the same "loading" stage. However, M$ winxp CD
> works without any problem. So the reason is from the boot method of these
> live Linux CDs. I guess the first stage, loading boot sector, is fine,
> since the Debian/Ubuntu logo is displayed properly, as well as the simple
> prompt and help menu. The second stage, likely loading the Linux kernel
> stuff, has problem. The machine could not continue to read and load the
> kernel stuff and stalled.
>
> Your suggestion or opinions on this problem are welcome. Thanks a lot in
> advance.
Hi  Qian Gong
You probably need to use some kernel options when you boot. Press F1
through F8 to see some of them. I think maybe you need 'vga=771 nolapic
noapic' (just a guess). But if you give us more information about the
hardware(computer maker, motherboard, video card, version of Debian,
kernel version), we can better determine the problem.
Cheers,
Kev