Linux boot CD failure

Hi,

Recently I failed to install Linux on a new PC by Debian installation CD.
The booting process stalled after I pressed "Enter" at the first Debian
prompt. The system stalled, displaying "Loading" below the prompt line. I
have tried a few other Linux live CDs, including Ubuntu live CD and
Linux-BBC. All stopped at the same "loading" stage. However, M$ winxp CD
works without any problem. So the reason is from the boot method of these
live Linux CDs. I guess the first stage, loading boot sector, is fine,
since the Debian/Ubuntu logo is displayed properly, as well as the simple
prompt and help menu. The second stage, likely loading the Linux kernel
stuff, has problem. The machine could not continue to read and load the
kernel stuff and stalled.

Your suggestion or opinions on this problem are welcome. Thanks a lot in
advance.

Cheers,

Qian Gong