Re: Why are my posts so delayed??

On Thursday 25 May 2006 03:36, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> Just curious,
>
> Can anyone tell me why there seems to be a delay of about 12 hours
> between posting a message and seeing it appear on the list?

As per RFC, the only reasonable expectation for email delivery time is "Less
than 4 days."  Beyond that, no guarantees of delivery time except under the
most limited of circumstances (you and your recipient use the same mail
server).

> It makes it really hard to contribute to a thread if the discussion
> is long over by the time my response to the original message appears...

This is why it is absolutely important that everyone quotes properly every
time.  http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting

> Or is everyone seeing the same time delay?

No.

> by my calculations this delay corresponds to roughly what I would
> expect if the list server was on Uranus..

You live in a reality separate from that of the rest of the world.  :o)  Email
delays are unpredictable and variable.  Don't sweat it so much.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber