Re: Vi problems from recent upgrade

On 24/05/06, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
In more recent versions of vi (vim), the insert/replace keyed functionality is
no longer working as it was. The prompt "insert" or "replace" does not
appear, one cannot go to the very end (after last character) of the line, and
the direction keys give (escaped) characters instead of positioning the
cursor. I recall something in the changelogs but that was a couple of updates
ago. How do I get my "old" beloved vi back?

I had the same question a while back, and some answer was that i
should read the file /usr/share/doc/vim/NEWS.Debian.gz ... in here i
found the solution: that i just had to make an alias in my .bashrc
script.

alias vi='vim'

vim (1:7.0-015+1) unstable; urgency=low

 * "vim" vs "vi"

   Vim now beahaves differently when invoked as "vim" or "vi". In the former
   case the usual debian configuration (/etc/vim/vimrc, /etc/vim/gvimrc) is
   sourced. When invoked as "vi" only /etc/vim/virc is sourced, providing a
   minimal Vim evironment, which strives to be compatible with the original
   "vi". Run Vim as "vim" if you want a full-fledged environment (a shell
   alias vi=vim usually works too).