Can I safely remove gconf and gconf2?

I do NOT run gnome (or KDE), I use fvwm.

I am trying to clean up my system and eliminate unnecessary packages.

I have previously removed quite a few gnome applications, but some things remain.

I note that gconfd-2 is running when I run top. Is this just a leftover from before I did my purge of gnome packages, or is it something that I actually need?

If I run 'apt-get --purge remove gconf gconf2' I get the following list of packages to be removed:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gconf* gconf2* libbonoboui2-0* libgconf11* libgconf2-4* libgnome-vfs-common*
 libgnome2-0*   libgnome2-common* libgnome2-perl* libgnome2-vfs-perl*
 libgnomeui-0* libgnomevfs2-0* libgnomevfs2-common*
 openoffice.org-gnome-integration*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 14 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 19.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

There had been three other apps (eog, gizmo-project and glame) but, as I am not using them, I have already uninstalled them. Is there any reason that I should not be able to safely remove these packages? It would seem that gconf and gconf2 are the only things keeping all of these libs around. Can I let apt remove all of this?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail