eth2_temp

    hi all. first of all, I'm not suscribed to this list, so please cc: me
in the answers.

    so, I just installed an etch server (wanted shorewall 3.x) which will
serve an internal net through 4 adsl lines. the problem (is not actually a
problem, but I would like to know anyways) is that the third nic appears as
the eth2_temp device. the relevant entries in /etc/network/interfaces are:

auto arnet1
iface arnet1 inet ppp
    provider arnet1

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet manual

    (the arnet1 pseudo device is the ppp link over this eth). I only run
pppoeconfig to setup the adsl connection. I even tried rebooting the server,
but the iface is still named so. here's the relevant output of ifconfig -a:

eth2_temp Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:7D:77:C0:BB
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:169 Base address:0xdc00

    I tried grep'ing the whole /etc to look for a possible culprit for this
name, but nothing relevant came up.

--
Marcos Dione
Departamento de Cómputos

Facultad de Ciencias QuÃmicas - Universidad Nacional de CÃrdoba