Re: resolv.conf changing at boot

Don Jackson wrote:
> After recent upgrades in etch, I found my Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
> waiting long periods for apparently DNS lookup (10-20 seconds every
> time). This is happening on two different computers which were upgraded.
>
> I find that my original entries of two nameservers in my resolv.conf
> file are being wiped out every time I boot.
> I have a router (D-Link DI-604) and several computers on my LAN.  The
> router is 192.168.0.1.  That is the address the resolv.conf file is
> being changed to for nameserver on bootup.

Sounds like you are using DHCP which will indeed overwrite the
resolv.conf. The router then supplies itself as a DNS server,
unfortunately it is not very good (I know, I own a few DI-604's.)

You may want to investigate the resolvconf package (which is designed to
fix this exact sort of problem,) or stop using DHCP.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd